When it comes to landscape and flora, Pieniny National Park occupies the most precious areas of Pieniny Właściwe: Masyw Trzech Koron (Trzy Korony masiff), Pieniny Czorsztyńskie, Pieninki, Przełom Dunajca (The Dunajec River Gorge).
From Pieniny Spiskie, only Zielone Skałki (Green Rocks) were incorporated into the area of the park. It has the highest tourism movement rate per 1 ha of area of all Polish national parks. There are 35 km of routes available to tourists. They also include also The Dunajec River Gorge that is a Europe-wide rafting attraction (one may also walk along Droga Pienińska (Pieniny Route)). There are viewing galleries for visitors on Trzy Korony and Sokolica. Another attraction is also the Czorsztyn Castle. 53% of the par area is a property of the Treasury (more than half was bought during a period of the Second Polish Republic), and the rest are private properties, on which business activities are carried out.
The park history dates back to 1921, as a result of measures taken prof. Władysław Szager, a reserve was established on land owned by Stanisław K. Drohojewski, in order to protect meadows around the ruins of Czorsztyn Castle (7,5 ha). In the late twenties of the 20th century, private lands located mainly in Pieniny Środkowe in Masyw Trzech Koron (Trzy Korony Masiff) were bought out in order to establish the first Polish national park. The project draft was developed by prof. Stanisław Kulczyński. On May 23, 1932, under-secretary of state Wiktor Lesniewski, signed for the minister of agriculture, a regulation on establishment of an organization unit called “Pieniny National Park” from the reserve in Pieniny, effective from June 1, 1932. Its overall area, including the reserve on Czorsztyn Castle, was supposed to be 16,5 km².
In 1924, an agreement was concluded with the government of Czechoslovakia on joint organization of protected areas around the border and on regulation of tourism. Negotiations were carried out by prof. Walery Goetel, and it should be noted that it was the first agreement with the government of Czechoslovakia. In 1926, when all procedures were already completed, there were concerns that the idea of the park would fail, since the Treasury that was struggling financially, refused to buy lands for very high prices from private owners, who could not want to wait for the transaction to be completed and started a predatory deforestation. As a result of numerous dissenting voice, the buyout procedure was commenced and in August, 1932, establishment of a 423 ha national park in Pieniny was proclaimed, and that year, Czechoslovak Pieniny National Park was established. Even before World War II, the area of the park was increased through buyouts, and also some little private reserves were established in Małe Pieniny (The Little Pieniny).
Another legal basis for park existence was a regulation of the Council of Ministers from October 30, 1954 on establishment of Pieniny National Park, effective from January 1, 1955. Its area was increased to 2231 ha through inclusion of lands that belonged to peasants and village groups (however, they still had the right to use these lands). Also, excessive hiking trails were eliminated. Currently, the park operates on the basis of a regulation by the Council of Ministers from May 14, 1996. In 2003, it already had the area of 2346 ha, and it is still being increased through further buyouts.