PIENAP is located in North Slovakia, near the Polish border. It covers the entire Golica Group (Pieniny Właściwe) located in Slovakia, and southern slopes of Małe Pieniny(The Little Pieniny Mountains), from Dunajec to the peak of Wierchliczka.
The southern border is marked by the upstream of Kamienka, and Lipnik stream in its entirety. The highest point of PIENAP is the peak of Wysoka (1050 above sea level), and the lowest one is located in Dunajec valley, near the border of the country located within the cadastral district of the village of Leśnica (429 above sea level).
The idea of inclusion of Slovak part of Pieniny was introduced for the first time in 1924, when the representatives of Poland and Czechoslovakia signed a „Protokół Krakowski” (The protocol of Cracow). This document included the idea of establishment of bordering national parks and handling the issues related to tourism and communication in Pieniny. On July 9, 1932, Czechoslovak minister of agriculture signed a regulation that on July 12, 1932, started the “Slovak Nature Reserve in Pieniny” with a surface are of 423 ha. The ceremonial proclamation of establishment of this reserve was held on July 17, 932 in front of the Red Monastery. At the same time, the establishment of the first International nature park in Europe was announced.
In order to enhance this international cooperation, the National Park Committee (Poland) and Slovak Reserve Committee (Slovakia) were established, and in 1934 they jointly established the framework for international cooperation. From November 27, 1938 to September 1, 1939 the area of Slovak Reserve was administered by Pieniny National Park (it involved incorporation of the village of Leśnica into Poland).
After World War II, Slovak Nature Reserve was established again under regulation of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry from December 13, 1957. At the time, it was called Pieniny Nature Park, and it was located within the borders of Tatra National Park (TANAP). In 1958, the first project concerning establishment of Pieniny National Park (PIENAP) was introduced. Pieniny National Park was created under regulation of the Slovak National Committee on January 16, 1967. Originally it occupied 2125 ha of area and its covering – another 52 000 ha. It included former reserve “Pieniny – Przełom Dunajca” (Pieniny – the The River Dunajec Gorge) and protected natural objects “Haligowskie Skały” (Haligowskie Rocks) and “Przełom Leśnickiego Potoku – Kacze” (The Gorge of Leśnicki Potok – Kacze) and their surroundings. However, it remained a part of TANAP organization for another 29 years. It was only in 1996, when an independent national park started to operate. In 1997, the surface area of PIENAP was increased to 3749 ha, and the covering area was finally set to 22 444 ha.